O'Brien County Environmental Health
Environmental Health Specialist
155 South Hayes, PO Box 525
Primghar, IA 51245
Environmental Health is a branch of Public Health that is concerned with all aspects of the environment that may affect human health. It is the goal of the O'Brien County Environmental Health office to protect the environment for future generations of O'Brien County residents.
Services offered by Environmental Health:
Private Water Wells
- Free water tests on new and existing private wells are done by appointment.
The County will pay the following for plugging abandoned wells and cisterns:
- Up to $500.00 for wells
- This money is available through the Grants to Counties Program.
- Cisterns $300
Onsite Wastewater Systems
- Any new or exixting homes that are not connected to the city sewer system are required to have an onsite wastewater system.
- Time of Transfer certified inspector lists are available.
- Radon test kits are available with informational packets for a fee of $8.00.
- opens in a new windowClick here for more radon information from the Iowa Dept. of Public Health
- Mold cleanup information.
- Carbon monoxide information.
Forms & Applications:
- opens in a new window542-0062 DNR Time of Transfer future inspection waiver
- opens in a new window542-0063 DNRTime of Transfer demolition inspection waiver
- opens in a new window542-0064 DNR Time of Transfer Inspection future installation
- opens in a new windowOSWAP Approval Form
- opens in a new windowSeptic Permit application
- opens in a new windowWell plugging form
Links of Interest:
- opens in a new windowIowa Department of Public Health – Environmental Health Division
- opens in a new windowDNR Private Wells Program
- opens in a new windowDNR Septic System Program
- opens in a new windowState Hygienic Lab
- opens in a new windowEPA
- opens in a new windowAir Coalition Radon Information
- opens in a new windowHealthy Homes
- opens in a new windowWell Owner website
- opens in a new windowNational Ground Water Association
- opens in a new windowRadon Buyers and Sellers Factsheet
- opens in a new windowHealthy Homes 360 Website