Judicial Mental Health Advocate
IF YOU ARE EXPERIENCING A MENTAL HEALTH CRISIS 988 OFFERS 24/7 ACCESS TO TRAINED CRISIS COUNSELORS WHO CAN HELP PEOPLE EXPERIENCING MENTAL HEALTH-RELATED DISTRESS.
CALL OR TEXT 988 TO CHAT OR VISIT 988LIFELINE.ORG
THIS OFFICE IS NO LONGER THE GENERAL ASSISTANCE OFFICE. IF YOU NEED GENERAL ASSISTANCE, PLEASE CALL OUR VETERANS AFFAIRS OFFICE AT 712-957-0031.
MH Advocate Abby is the Judicial Mental Health Advocate for Care Connections of Northern Iowa and Sioux Rivers Mental Health and Disability Service Regions; Clay, Dickinson, Lyon, O'Brien, Osceola, Palo Alto, Plymouth, Sioux and Emmet Counties in Northwest Iowa.
The Mental Health Advocate is appointed by the Court to advocate for persons under a mental health court commitment per Chapter 229 of the Iowa Code. When an advocate is assigned, the advocate assists people with the following:
- Understanding and following the court’s commitment order
- Providing information regarding the rights of a committed person
- Giving Support, answering questions, investigating concerns and making needed referrals
- Informing the court if the services of an attorney are necessary
The Mental Health Advocate position requires significant travel, therefore voicemail is available. Please feel free to leave a message and your call will be returned.
- Judicial Mental Health Advocate Brochure
- Judicial Mental Health Advocate Grievance Information
- Judicial Mental Health Advocate Map
- Judicial Advocates by Mental Health and Disability Service Region
- Care Connections of Northern Iowa MHDS Regional Site
- Sioux Rivers MHDS Regional Site
- Iowa Code 229
- Iowa Code 229.19
Abby Wallin, MS
O'Brien County Courthouse
155 S Hayes P.O. Box 380
Primghar, IA 51245
24-Hour Crisis: 844-345-4569
Due to travel required by the Mental Health Advocate position, appointments should be scheduled in advance if possible. Office hours are subject to change.