Gen. Assistance/MH Advocate
MH Advocate Abby is the Judicial Mental Health Advocate for Northwest Iowa Care Connections and Sioux Rivers Mental Health and Disability Service Regions; Clay, Dickinson, Lyon, O'Brien, Osceola, Palo Alto, Plymouth and Sioux Counties in Northwest Iowa.
The Mental Health Advocate is appointed by the Court to advocate for persons under a mental health court commitment per Chapter 229 of the Iowa Code. When an advocate is assigned, the advocate assists people with the following:
- Understanding and following the court’s commitment order
- Providing information regarding the rights of a committed person
- Giving Support, answering questions, investigating concerns and making needed referrals
- Informing the court if the services of an attorney are necessary
O’Brien County General Assistance shall be provided to residents of this county as mandated by the Iowa Code. To qualify one must be a resident of O’Brien County, be at least 18 years of age and meet current income and resource guidelines.
- General Assistance Application
- Judicial Mental Health Advocate Brochure
- Judicial Mental Health Advocate Grievance Information
- JAMI District Map
- Judicial Advocates by Mental Health and Disability Service Region
- Northwest Iowa Care Connections MHDS Regional Site
- Sioux Rivers MHDS Regional Site
- O'Brien County Resource Directory 2019-2020
Abby Wallin, MS
O'Brien County Courthouse
155 S Hayes P.O. Box 380
Primghar, IA 51245
24-Hour Crisis: 844-345-4569
9 A.M. - 10 A.M.
Due to travel required by the Mental Health Advocate position, appointments should be scheduled in advance if possible. Office hours are subject to change.
The Mental Health Advocate position requires significant travel, therefore voicemail is available. Please feel free to leave a message and your call will be returned.